Last night I completed W7D1 of the C25k program. I ran for 29 minutes without stopping. The program says you only need to run for 25, but I kept running through my cool down. I'm secretly very surprised that I'm still going after this long, usually I give up after 2 weeks or so. I've had some lovely ladies (and more recently, guys) who have been doing the program too, and I feel like I can't give up. It's pretty good motivation to keep running, especially because I was exactly a week ahead of @missnickiebee - I had to keep running so she didn't catch up. Unfortunately, she has had to stop for the moment as she's having knee problems.
Anyway, I'm doing well on the C25k program. The first week was the hardest for me in terms of getting my breathing sorted. The second week was hard to retain the motivation. The next really hard week was W5 - W5D3 was a 20 minute run which was a huge mental hurdle. I found it much, much easier than I thought I would, and I got through it really well. Once I got though that run, I realised that I could really complete the program. I have found 5k runs that are held every Tuesday night along the waterfront, so I'm hoping once I 'graduate' from C25K I will start doing them every week. I have also committed to doing the Wellington Round the Bays. As I said in my last blog, I have signed up to be a Heart Racer, where I will be fundraising for the Heart Foundation. The Heart Foundation is a really great cause worth supporting.
The Round the Bays is a 7km race in February, so I'll have about 2 months after I finish the C25K program. I plan on starting the One Hour Runner program after that which should build me up to approximately 10km. The most exciting thing about my running it that I've convinced some other people to run too!
These are the people who I know are running the Round the Bays:
@the_liberator
@simon_w
@jethrocarr
There are some others that I'm trying to convince too.
I'm very surprised, I never thought I would LIKE running, but after about W4 of the C25k program, I fell in love with it. It really helps to clear my mind which is obviously awesome. The best thing about the C25k program is that it steps up quite slowly, almost so it creeps up on you. It allows you to build your confidence before getting harder so you move onto the next run or week knowing that there's not so much of a big change. Most people can push themselves to run an extra minute, and before you know it, you're fitter and it's getting easier, you're building confidence, then it gets a little bit harder. There are no huge jumps. I'm finding the further though the program I am, the more I'm craving exercise.
The running has been good for me. I've lost about 8kg in the last 6 weeks. I've been eating better because I'm craving 'good' food. I've lost a total of 20cm (upper arm, chest, waist, hips, thigh and calf) over that time too. I know this is quite good weight loss compared to other people, but I'm quite lucky in that while I put on weight very quickly, I have a naturally muscular build, so I can loose weight quickly too. It will probably be another 12 weeks, then I'll be back to the weight and tone that I'd be happy with.
Aww, I got a mention! I'm still annoyed I had to give up for now, but my knees are definitely feeling better this week, so I just need my new shoes and hopefully I'll be good to go again. I was super-impressed when I saw you got to week 7 last night :-)
ReplyDelete