Monday, December 27, 2010

Camping, day two

This morning I woke up at 3am, on the ground. Well, technically, I was still on my airbed, but it had gone flat. I have to say, that's the crappiest thing about camping. I pumped it up again, and it held out without getting too flat by the time i woke up at 6.30, with the sun streaming into the tent. I tossed up going for a run, but to be honest, I couldn't really be bothered and instead dozed until about 8.30. By 8, it started getting hot in the tent. There's nothing you can do to get rid of the heat in the tent; nothing.

I got up, and did some shopping this morning. I got some awesome new jandals! I love being able to fit kids sizes, they have much cooler patterns than adult jandals.



I also bought some sunblock because I have almost run out. Usually I get Cancer Society stuff, but I've heard good things about BananaBoat, so grabbed some of that.


Here's my sunburn from yesterday putting up the tent.


I also got burned on Christmas day, but that had already tanned up by boxing day. I really try to avoid getting burned at all because I've had some pretty severe sunburn when I was younger and stupider, and the last thing I need is skin cancer.

This is the view from our campsite. It's pretty amazing!



At about 10am, we went to the beach. It was about 24C today, although it's starting to get a bit overcast now.


We (Marcus, Daniel and I) went for a swim out to the buoy, about 200m away, and back. It was super cold when you initially get in, but once you're in, it was beautiful. The lake was surprisingly choppy.

After lunch, we went back to the lake, with our new boat. It can hold 2 people + a suitcase, and can take up to a 1.1KW motor. On a blow up boat. And it helpfully says all this on the side.





We also took down masks and snorkels and fins so we could go for a proper swim, and we went back out to the buoy, right along the beach and back. It's amazing, the top 1.5m of water are great and warm, then once you get down about 2m, it gets colder and colder. We only went down maybe 10m as it's pretty shallow until about 2km out, but the bottom was so cold it starts seizing up your lungs. I found a golf ball on the bottom, and we found some tyres and concrete blocks used as weights too. The only fish we saw were cockabillies that congregated around the tyres and sticks and things. Generally, the bottom was very very clean, but there were not very many fish at all. I saw 1 trout, but it was dead. I'm pretty sure it was a rainbow trout, but it was starting to decompose so the colouring could be off.


Anyway, here are some bonus pics from last night; one of the lake when we went down to hot water beach, and the second of the mummy duck who chased me, and her babies I was trying to pet. They seemed pretty friendly with dad though!



No comments:

Post a Comment