It's 9pm on Christmas night, and I'm hot, sunburned, full, and as usual after Christmas, relieved.
Christmas should be about seeing your family and spending time with people, instead, it's about spending money and buying 'good' presents - whatever they are. Most people I know get into debt each Christmas. It's silly, every year, we know when Christmas is going to be. In fact, I can tell you when Christmas will be 50 years from now. It seems insane that we can't plan ahead and save, but year after year, the same people do the same stupid things.
This year, our family did secret santa. Well, we did on one side - on the other side, there's only about 5 of them left (long story, involving lots of suicide) so we just buy prezzies for everyone. Anyway, the rule for secret santa was everyone over 21 goes on the buying list, and is assigned a person to buy a $40 gift for. All the kids (under 21) get prezzies from each family. Anyone who did Christmas shopping this year, or any other year knows how much of a shit amount $40 is. $50 equals pretty cool prezzie, $30 = value for money. $40 = 30 prezzie + chocolate. Buying 1 good present and putting thought into it is still so much much better than buying crap presents for everyone.
Anyway, there were two new additions to the family this year. Dan, my cousin's boyfriend, who is 10 years older than her (not that there's a problem with that), and no one knows anything about him, except he works with computers. Awesome. The second was my other cousin's girlfriend. I think her name was Amy or Emma and Emily or something, and she had stickers on her teeth. They were quite antisocial, which suits me just fine.
So this year, as a departure from the norm (not) there was way too much food. And dessert was crap. I hate to be the one who complains about food that other people cook, but seriously, people. It's summer. It's freaking 25C, I don't want creamy desserts. I also don't want HOT desserts, that's just insane in this heat.
I'm skipping ahead a bit, before I went to that lunch christmas, I stopped off at my other Aunties for brunch. Before 12pm, I had already been to 3 Christmases, if you count breakfast at mum and dads.
After that, off to Marcus' parents for a nice but awkward dinner. For some reason, all they had was seafood, even though they know I don't eat seafood. Blugh. Anyway, other than that, it was pretty good. After that, back to mum's for more food. As if I hadn't seen enough today. Then finally, home to pack for camping tomorrow!
It's funny, I never eat that much on Christmas because I hate traditional Christmas foods. Today, I pretty much had salad and roast veges, and lemon meringue pie. The thing is, it's hard to not feel disgusting when you watch everyone else stuffing themselves to near-coma state - I feel full and gross by default, and it sucks!
Anyway, it's not long until 2011. I'm excited about the new year. For once, I'm actually feeling really awesome and happy. This year, I've met some awesome people and made great new friends. I've put effort into myself, doing things for me that make me happy, and it's paid off. There have been some huge challenges (like my best friend being overseas for 1/2 of the year) but some great moments too. I always try to make every day a tiny bit better than yesterday. 2011 is going to be fab, just you wait!
No comments:
Post a Comment