Saturday, November 20, 2010

Today I had to Vote

Today, Saturday 20 November 2010, is voting day. It's Mana by-election time, and boy is it exciting!

Here are the candidates:

Kelly Buchanan - Alliance
Julian Crawford - Aotearoa Legalise Cannabis Party
Colin Du Plessis - Act
Kris Faafoi - Labour Party
Sean Fitzpatrick - Libertarianz
Jan Logie - Green Party
Matt McCarten - Independent
Hekia Parata - National Party

And here's what I know about the candidates:
Kelly Buchanan
No placards that I've ever seen, no presence in the electorate.
Julian Crawford
No placards that I've ever seen, no presence in the electorate. Legalize Cannabis party - never heard of any other policies.
Colin Du Plessis
"Of course I care, I live here" - No mention of his party (Act) on placards, no actual presence that I've seen. He lives in Raumati.
Kris Faafoi
Labour dude - lots and lots of supporters. Lives out of the electorate, but has spent all of his time playing the blame game on the National (current and past) governments.
Sean Fitzpatrick
No presence, never heard of him before
Jan Logie
Greens - lives in Plimmerton. Into creating jobs by cleaning the harbour and creating tourism in the electorate. Big on public transport, against transmission gully. Wants to keep people in state houses.
Matt McCarten
Unite union founder - wants to get rid of GST, raise the minimum wage to $15 and create 3000 jobs in the electorate. Lives in Auckland. He has had a huge presence in terms of handouts and supporters but doesn't seem to be very realistic about his promises. He and his supporters are very confrontational - attacks on Hekia Parata and John Key. Broke into a state house. Into increasing the availability of state housing and keeping people in state houses. Thinks state houses are sub-standard.
Hekia Parata
National Party - lives in Titahi Bay. Grew up in a state house. Lots of placards and letter drops, not many supporters on the street like Faafoi or McCarten. Wants to create sustainable jobs by working on the economy.

This article helps to show the arguments from each candidate. I don't think it's a very good debate, but I also don't think that Paul Homes did a very good job running the debate. There were lots of personal attacks, and I didn't feel that the candidates were very respectful of each other.

That's the thing I can't stand about politics; why can't people be adults and actually have a conversation instead of just talking at each other.

I am concerned that voters are going to just vote for the people they've seen around the most rather than voting for policy or party. I personally don't like any of the candidates particularly, except Colin Du Plessis. I choose not to vote for him because I don't see that he's going to get the seat and it would be a wasted vote. Instead, I voted along my party line (National) even though I don't particularly like the candidate. This is what I see as smart voting - there's no point in giving your vote to a candidate that has no shot at getting a seat because then your vote doesn't count. You're much better to stick to the main few candidates and choose the one you like the best (or the one you hate the least, if you prefer).

In saying that, I don't really care what method other people use to vote. If you like the Libertarianz dude, then by all means vote for him; it's just not my way. What is important is that people get out and vote. I'm concerned by this article saying that there has been low voter turnout so far. Hopefully it's just that one polling booth that's had low turnout and the others have been okay. Early reports had said that early votes had been higher than average, so there's hope yet!

When I went to vote this morning, there was a person wearing a Labour rosetta in the polling booth. I didn't realise that each party was allowed a representative at each polling booth. I sort of think it shouldn't be allowed. I like to think that people won't be swayed by what they see straight before they vote, but there must be some people who go in with no idea which candidate they want to vote for. Down in Porirua today, I also saw a bunch of "Unite" supporters driving the streets with flags and loudspeakers. I know they could easily argue that they're supporting the union, not McCarten - I still think this is another way to sway peoples votes. I would much rather than for 24 hours before the election, I got to make up my own mind about who I was going to vote for with no propaganda trying to change my mind. It makes you think though - how many people changed their vote at the last minute because of things like these?

I will be watching tonight to see who wins. Mana's aways been an easy Labour win, so here's hoping for some change - although I'm not holding my breath!

No comments:

Post a Comment