NZGirl is running a fundraising campaign for breast cancer, where they will donate $1000 to breast cancer for every 50 boob shots uploaded. Pics are uploaded anonymously, showing as much or as little as the uploader likes.
I uploaded my boobs. They're number 20. I'm not ashamed of them, and I think that any effort being made to raise money for cancer or to raise awareness in women is a worthy cause. I'm telling you which ones are mine because I'm proud to be a part of this campaign.
Lots of people are upset by it. Lots of people think it's sexualisation. Some people are genuinely offended. And you know what, they have the right to be upset or offended, or to think that I'm a slut for putting my boobs out there.
I'm really really glad that there's this campaign out there. I know breast cancer research is a big deal, I know there are awareness campaigns out there. None of them have ever made a difference to me like this before. I feel like they're mostly aimed at women in their 30s, and at 21, I don't find them relevant. Now, this might just be me, but I'm entitled to my opinion, just like everyone else who has shared their views.
This campaign is something that's relevant to me as a young person. There are some great boobs out there. But that's not why I'm not ashamed of it. I absolutely don't regret putting my boobs on the internet because last night when I took the picture, I took 5 minutes to check for lumps. It's not something I've ever done before, and it's not something that I've ever thought was relevant to ME.
Last night, I felt a lump. I'm not stressed out about it, but I did make a doctor appointment for tomorrow morning. I hope it's nothing, but if it is, I'm prepared to deal with that too. Breast cancer has never seemed real to me before. It's always been something that you get when you're 'older', whenever that is. This campaign has made it real to me, and I want to thank everyone who's supported it, or blogged about it, or opposed it. If what you've said/written/uploaded helps one girl like me to check herself and see what's up with her boobs, then the campaign was successful.
My boobs are sexy, but this campaign hasn't sexualised breast cancer for me. It's brought me down to earth with a very, very hard fall.
Before I get any hate/'I'm sorry" mail, just stop and think. This campaign has made a difference to my life. Who the hell are you to tell me that it's not ok?
I would never tell you that the campaign isn't right for you.
ReplyDeleteI would never slut shame anyone. I don't believe in the word slut. And I've said on my site that I have no problem with women showing off their breasts. I do it and I support other women doing it too.
I'm glad you did a self-inspection and I hope everything turns out OK at the doctors. I'm glad you found the campaign positive.
I think I have to point out though - I criticised a campaign. I didn't criticise the women taking part. I said on my blog I can totally understand why women want to take part. As you said - people have a right to be upset and offended by the campaign. It comes from a genuine place of being hurt by what NZ Girl has done. Your opinion is as legitimate as anyone else's and I'm glad you posted your thoughts.
I'm also glad you found the campaign helpful in making you more aware of your health. But criticism of the campaign isn't about calling women sluts. That's a horrible thing to do. And I haven't seen anyone do that. But if that's been your experience then that sucks.
If this campaign made breast cancer seem real to you then I'm glad. But maybe you could consider that the criticism of the campaign comes from people who knew before the campaign how real breast cancer is - and that's why they're upset.
Anyway - I'll be thinking of you. I hope all goes well at the doctors.
Thanks. I'm not trying to say that you have called people sluts. I think you've had the most respectful criticism of the campaign than the other naysayers I've seen, and I really appreciate that.
ReplyDelete