Friday, December 3, 2010

Christmas Spirit

It's Friday 3 December, which means the Christmas season is upon us. We should all be peeking through windows watching families gathered around a table piled with food, singing carols together, and driving in the streets at night looking at the wonderful Christmas lights in everyone's yard.

Instead, we're wondering how, yet again, we've left all of our Christmas shopping to the last minute. We're clambering through stores on our lunch break and after work, trying desperately to not go into over-over draft on our credit cards, and trying to figure out how on earth we're going to go to three different meals on Christmas day. And it will only get worse the closer we get to the big day. Isn't it amazing how strawberries can go up $3 in the 2 days before Christmas, and how whole towns can sell out of Coke?

December also marks the start of Christmas parties - work parties, parties with friends, sports parties, parties with volunteer groups - even twitter parties. They're usually parties that you feel obligated to go to, where you eat too much and/or drink too much, and spend the whole night wishing you were at home, or doing your Christmas shopping.

I really don't understand why we have these parties - no one likes going and everyone has a miserable time. This year, I've been very proud of myself. I've been to ONE Christmas party - I managed to get out of both of the ones at work (where a girl broke her knee trying to do the splits). My party tonight was just a dinner with 8 of us there, and we had a nice time. I ate too much, sure, but didn't drink. And it wasn't expensive either, dinner was subsidized and ended up costing us $15 each, as well as a $5 secret santa present. Why can't all Christmas things be like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment