Monday, January 24, 2011

Running and weightloss

So after some issues with a broken shoulder, I've finally reached that point in my C25K journey.  My next run will be my 'graduation run' - the very last run I need to do to complete the program.

If you had asked me on the 12 October 2010, the day I started the program, if I thought I would complete it, my answer would have been no.  If you had asked me any time in November if I thought I would finish it, my answer still would have been no.  In fact, if you had asked me in December, I would have said no.  Really, it's only been the last couple of weeks that I've considered myself a 'runner'.  I don't exactly know what that means for everyone else, but for me, being a runner is having that craving to run, and going, 'you know what, I'm going for a run'.

I am so, so proud of myself, both for finishing the program (well, nearly) and for how far I've come in the last few months.  I never ever thought I could bring myself to like running.  I used to watch people running, and they would look so peaceful and happy, and I never thought that I could be that person.

Running by numbers:
  • I started W1D1 on 12 October 2010.  I will be completing my graduation run tonight, 24 January 2011. That means it has taken me just under 15 weeks to complete the 9 week program.
  • I didn't run for 4 weeks when my shoulder was really painful.
  • I lost 16kg during that period.
  • I lost 37cm over my calves, thighs, hips, waist, boobs and arms.
Blogs along the way:


Would I recommend the C25k program?
Absolutely, unreservedly.  Anyone can do this.  Anyone.

The first week I started, I thought the program was okay.  I got through week one pretty easily, then week two was really really hard.  Week 4 was another challenge, and W5D3, a 20m jog with no intervals was hard.  W6D3 was the end of intervals, and in retrospect, it was here that I started feeling like a 'real' runner.

What's next?
I am going to do the One Hour Runner program next. It's based on one long run a week, and two shorter runs. The aim was to have the OHR program completed or mostly completed before the AMI Round the Bays, but this clearly isn't going to happen any more. I'm not too worried.



Thank you so much to my twitter family for supporting me though this whole journey, I really could have done it without you.  Congratulations also to @the_liberator, who's doing really really well with the program - today he ran 5k!!! Also to all of your who are at your various stages of your journey, please comment or tweet @ me and I'll add you to my baby wall of fame :)

The Wall of Fame:
@the_liberator
@MissNickiBee

1 comment:

  1. A big thank you for these posts. I have made the first step of downloading the C25k app, and got no further...
    I stall be taking my first steps tomorrow.
    Inspired by yoooooou.

    ReplyDelete