Friday, March 4, 2011

I'm makin' a list


Today I'm still feeling sad and I can't really put a finger on why.  I had the following conversation with a very good friend:

Lauren 
8:08 well I had a massive meltdown last night
8:08 that was cool 
James Franco 
8:08 in regards to...?
Lauren
8:08 life in general
8:08 I went for a run
8:09 and sat by the water
8:09 a man I had never seen before came and sat next to me and gave me a hug
James Franco
8:09 did you mace him
8:09 I would have maced him
8:09 for reals
Lauren
8:10 Nope
8:10 it was actually...nice
8:10 like, just what I needed
James Franco
8:11 that's good then, let off some pressure etc?
Lauren
8:11 yeah
8:11 except today I'm feeling equally suicidal
8:11 so that's not ideal
James Franco
8:12 no, I'd say not. What's causing you to feel like that?
Lauren
8:12 It's not one thing I can pinpoint, which is difficult
8:13 It's a whole bunch of things that are okay alone, but too much together
James Franco
8:13 Right. So, make a list of them and figure out an approach to deal with them
Lauren
8:14 that's a really awesome idea


I think he's onto something.  I can't deal with all of these problems together, that's impossible.  I need to break things down into manageable chunks and deal with things one by one.  It's sort of easier said than done; none of the things I'm dealing with are the sort of things you can just fix - they're all going to take time to get over.  I think writing a list has made me feel better.  I know exactly all the things have I need to work through and knowing that there are so many makes me feel better about not being 'over this' in a week.


Lists are good for helping when you're feeling overwhelmed.  I find that breaking things down into tiny, manageable portions makes things not seem so difficult.  

No comments:

Post a Comment