Wednesday, October 13, 2010

One tiny step to victory

Yesterday, I promised that I was going to start the C25k Program.






And last night, I did it. I found my (snug!) sports bra, pants, a t-shirt, my shoes. Eventually, I also found some socks. I got my iPhone ready, with the C25k app ready to go. Then I stopped, went to the bathroom, did my hair (twice), shaved my legs and drank a whole bottle of water. I made 3 phone calls, checked the mail, brushed the cat and had a snack. Once I had procrastinated in every possible way, I went outside.

The program is 9 weeks, and in the first week, you do a 5 minute walk to warm up, then 60s jog, 90s walk x 8, then 5 minutes walk to cool down. I started with gusto down the street, smiling and nodding to everyone I saw. I felt super friendly, fit and great. I was doing it!!!

Then my phone beeped. That meant it was time to jog. A friendly female voice told me to 'run now'. My inner brat said 'uhm, nope, you don't tell me what to do, lady'. But my legs did it. I jogged (albeit very slowly) for a minute. Great, that wasn't so bad! I did it. The next jog segment was up a hill. That was harder, but still do-able. It wasn't until I got to the 5th or 6th jog segment that I started dreading the next one. But I did them all!

I'm very proud of myself. About 3 years ago, I tried to learn to run and I followed a program similar to this. It went okay, but I only ever got to about 2km. I ran in the gym on a treadmill and it was very boring. I think my approach of being outside might help with the boredom. It means I can see new things each day and change my route.

I know they say that you should have a rest day, but I'm really not sore at all after yesterday, and I'm not doing any other exercise today, so I'm going to head out tonight and to W1D2. The reality is, I'm very unfit for running, and I will probably need to repeat weeks to build my fitness. I think I'll try to do week 1 for 4 days at least before moving on to week 2, but I think it's better to do it more slowly than to try to rush. After all, good things take time!

No comments:

Post a Comment