Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Underwater Rugby, Take One

Last night was my first ever game of underwater rugby.

We had enough people show up for 2 teams, so we quickly got into it. I discovered that my sore ears from a left over cold prevented me from getting to the bottom of the 5m pool, although through perseverance (stupidity, perhaps?) I managed to get about 1/2m from the bottom.

It's such an awesome game, very very fast; much faster than anything I've played before. After an hour of playing, I hadn't got the hang of the 3d aspect of the game. It's strange to remember that people can be attacking you from above, below, behind, infront or from the sides - you're very open and exposed out there. Disorientation is another issue; you're supposed to swim upside down (with your back facing the bottom) when you're on the bottom of the pool, but that's a lot harder than you'd think. It's a very unnatural position to swim in, and will take some time to get used to.

I'm definitely looking forward to next week; hopefully I'll be able to get to the bottom. We're also expecting some players who couldn't make it last night to come, so it should be awesome!

In other news, I had an infuriating day at work - my computer didn't work, I checked all the plugs and everything looked ok. After 2 phone calls to IT, the agreed to send someone right away. 4 hours later, the guy showed up, plugged the phone in and left. FFS, I I had known it was the phone, I could have checked that!!! What a waste of time!

Right, now I'm off to get changed so I can finish week 1 of C25k!

No comments:

Post a Comment