Today, this story was all over the media. A lesbian couple who live just north of Warkworth, in Mangawhai Heads had their property graffiti-ed on, and a shed burned down. Understandably, they are hurt and scared and angry that people in their community could do something like this.
I hate graffiti. I think it shows a complete disrespect for a society and the people who live there. Porirua used to have huge problems with graffiti. Maybe it still does, but I spend much less time here so don't notice so much anymore. There is a group here who go around painting over graffiti. The idea is that graffiti breeds more graffiti, so if you get rid of it straight away, it can help to prevent more from happening.
Anyway, the graffiti in this case was totally thoughtful stuff like 'dirty dyke'. Firstly - who still says that?? And second, what the hell sort of society do these people think we live in? Just because you don't agree with someone else's opinions/sexual preferences or whatever doesn't mean it's okay to abuse them. Why can't people get this through their heads??
You might not be a lesbian, you might think it's disgusting. You might not think that lesbians should even be allowed outside in public. That's fine, it's your opinion, and, retarded as it is, you're entitled to it. But you need to understand that these women (or other women or men) are not doing anything illegal. They're not (presumably) having sex in public or luring your children into their 'sordid' world. They're just having a relationship, just like everyone else, and they're allowed to do that.
You don't have to like everything, or accept everything or have an opinion of anything at all, but you do have to respect that other people have the right to disagree with you. They have the right to do things you don't agree with and to live their own lives. Stop shitting on other people because they don't think like you.
When I read this in the morning paper I just about cried.
ReplyDeleteYou know what? These cretins who feel they have the right to scare people living happy lives piss me off. I bet that the same people wouldnt step up and get involved if they heard a hetero domestic abuse situation taking place because it's "none of thier business".
Pricks.
I know. I saw it, and it made me feel physically sick. I really don't see how my sexuality (or another's) is any business but my own, and the people I choose to share it with. Sure, I choose to blog openly about it and therefore I open myself up to more criticism, but it's still not okay to treat someone as anything but a decent human being.
ReplyDeleteWe have a responsibility as humans to look after each other. Maybe this behaviour would be socially acceptable 200 years ago, but seriously, it's 2011. Live and let live. Let me love who I want to love.