One of my biggest rules in life is to live with no regrets. Sometimes, it’s really hard. Sometimes you do things that were totally stupid and irrational, and the only way you can justify not having regrets is to call it something else, like a ‘learning experience’. Other times, something that you initially felt was the wrong thing to do could turn out to be an awesome, awesome thing.
Following this blog, I told the guy the thing I was talking about. His reaction wasn’t exactly what I hoped for, and I almost got to the stage of regretting telling him at all.
After sleeping on it, I realised - shock horror - that I can’t actually control what other people think or feel. It sounds ridiculous that at almost-22 I haven’t figured that out yet. Maybe I’m just a slow learner. Anyway, I woke up this morning (well, I was woken up by a text from a certain someone) feeling good, and at peace with my choice. I’ve always thought that you can really tell how you feel about a choice you make based on the feeling you have when you wake up the next morning. Think about it - who you brought home last night; whether you should have had the chicken, or if the new hair cut actually suits you. Sometimes sleep makes everything clearer.
Back to the story. I decided that if he doesn’t like what I had to say, he knows where the door is. Seeing as he had something he wanted to talk to me about so much as to wake me up before 9am on a Thursday, I’d assume that he’s okay with it. And even if he’s not, there’s not a hell of a lot I can do about it, so I shouldn’t beat myself up about it, I can’t control his feelings.
I’d much rather be honest with myself (and with him) than pretend that things don’t exist or ignore feelings. It’s only with all the facts that you can make informed decisions, and I really think that in 99% of situations, honesty is the best policy. Maybe not when your girlfriend asks if her bum looks big in this dress or if your mother-in-law wants to know if you like the meatloaf, but generally, honesty works pretty well. Besides, I’m a terrible liar, so I should really avoid lying at all costs.
I’m all for living in the moment, but I’m also one of those people who love to make plans for the future. I love dreaming about next week or next year or what my life is going to be like in 10 years, and that’s okay. As long as your dreams don’t get in the way of you living in the moment, there are no problems. So, what if this thing doesn’t work out? Well, like always, I’ll survive. I’ll move on to something new. But in the mean time, I’m going to live in the moment, and enjoy every minute of today.
No comments:
Post a Comment