Friday, January 21, 2011

Sex Fame

Yesterday, I asked for suggestions on what I could blog about. @honorarykiwi suggested blogging about my 'feelings about my new-found status as Twitter's go-to source for fetish and sex information'.

I think it's sort of a weird thing to happen. I'm totally happy to share my knowledge and opinions, and I'm also happy to talk to people who are interested in what I have to share. I'm definitely not a perfect source of information, there are lots and lots of people out there with way more experience than I have. I do have a bit of a weird obsession with thinking things through, probably too much. There are some people out there who can attest to that and it was evidenced in my blog about relationships.

I guess the biggest thing about why people are happy with sharing things with me is that I don't judge them for their preferences. It's not my place to do that, and it's honestly none of my business. I don't like the thought that other people judge me for my choices, so I need to set the example by not judging others. It's a very freeing way to interact with people, if you haven't done it before, I would recommend trying it. The next time someone says something that seems really strange or foreign to you, instead of allowing judgement to be the first things that jumps into your head, instead, relate the thing to you somehow. It doesn't matter if you have to come up with something totally tangential, what matters is that you have some way to relate to this person.

If you see the person as similar to you, judgement falls aside, and the focus is on empathy. This doesn't mean that you have to agree with their thoughts, just recognise that their opinion or thoughts are valid. You don't have to agree with their thoughts, you just have to recognise that they deserve an opinion, just like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment