Today, at 12.51pm, a magnitude 6.3 struck Christchurch. It was 5km deep, and caused major damage. Like most New Zealanders, I spent the afternoon frantically trying to make contact with friends and family in Christchurch, and watching the live reports unfold on TV and online.
As with most emergencies, Twitter proved to be a great source of information. Within literally seconds of feeling the quake myself, I was looking at pictures of the damage.
I can't look at the damage anymore, and I can't think of the dozens of people who have died. I feel guilty; people in Christchurch don't have a choice but to face it.
Instead of blogging something horrible, or heartfelt, I have instead found pictures of baby animals. Maybe this will take your mind of the horribleness for a few minutes.
Don't forget to tell everyone tonight that you love them.










yeah, I was planning to blog this afternoon, but it just seems so trivial now. And I don't feel I can be eloquent enough to cover the tradgey that it is. My brother is there, and as of about an hour after the quake he was fine. Who knows if he will still be in the morning. But he's not trapped so that's gotta be counted as a plus. It's impossible to do anything to help from here (I have young kids who need me too) I have been watching coverage same as you, but getting to point where I wanna turn it off, it's too overwhelming. Even as I think this though it seems heartless to turn off. But helpless to keep watching....
ReplyDeleteThanks for the baby animals. Nice images. :O)
I can't blog about it. Just like I couldn't really cover the Pike River Mine. There's nothing I can say that will make those families who have lost people feel better. There's nothing I can say to make me feel better, either.
ReplyDelete