Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentines Day, suckers.

I alluded yesterday to the fact that I would be doing a Valentines Day post to let you know why I don't like Valentines Day.

Basically, I think Valentines Day is used as an excuse for couples to get rid of all romance out of their relationship and limiting it all to one day so they can get away with not being romantic any other day.  Presents are over priced, and they take no thought - how hard is is to pay $70 for a bouquet of red roses?

That's not to say that I don't like love and romance - of course romance is awesome.  But it's so much more romantic if it's by choice, rather than because every one else does it.

I don't have a problem with people buying into the idea, and if you want to celebrate, by all means, do.  But I really really truly think that the vast majority of women don't actually like all the fuss around Valentines Day - and most men HATE the pressure of having to find something that's the right mix between romantic and thoughtful and generic.  Women get peer pressured into feeling like they need to love Valentines Day, and that if they don't they must be broken or single or resentful, which is totally untrue.

Whether I've been single on Valentines Day or with a partner, I have not celebrated a Valentines day except for the one just before my 14th birthday, when I had my first boyfriend.  It's not because I'm bitter or resentful or angry or anything - I just hate the commercialism aspect of it, and I hate the pressure.

Yes, it's wonderful to feel special, it's fantastic to feel loved, and of course we like feeling like someone's thought of us.  It's pretty hard to argue that we'd feel less special being appreciated on any other day.

I saw a tweet (that I can't for the life of me find again) saying that Valentines Day is where men buy women overpriced flowers in exchange for the possibility of a mediocre blow job.  Well, blow jobs are something we should be giving every day, and so are flowers and kisses and expressions of love.

Love every day, not just because Hallmark tells you to.

In saying that, I received TWO lovely Valentines Day gifts today.  One was from Kylie, who decided that me not liking Valentines Day isn't a reason to not embarras me in Wholly Bagels - thanks hun.

The second was from a random fire fighter, who handed me a red rose this afternoon and simply said, 'Happy Valentines Day'.  It made me smile, and I was very happy.  I walked about another 10m down the road and saw a sad looking man sitting at the bus stop.  I handed him the rose, and said 'Happy Valentines Day'.  It was obviously just what he needed, he smiled, and got up and hugged me and thanked me profusely.  Pay it forward.

2 comments:

  1. I think valentines day is what you make it ,
    I use it as a day to remind me to honor those I love now and those I have loved in the past - those now for being a part of my life currently and the past , for what they have given me and taught me and the love they did show me at one time .
    I also see it as a day to look around me and value a little more those people around me who support me in exactly what you did for that random stranger , those that lift me up without knowing it , or knowing it and say thanks , or give thanks for them , as for some of them I wouldn't be here now , they know who they are. So yes valentines day has become overly commercialized but i believe it is what you make of it. Magic for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was amusing seeing 20 guys lined outside the florist all buying roses.
    One guy giving two girls a rose (at separate times.

    ReplyDelete