Monday, December 13, 2010

Are you gender appropriate?

Yesterday, I went on a fun shopping excursion to Lower Hutt. Well, actually, it's 2 weeks before Christmas, so it was a godawful shopping trip that ended in tears. Yes, I know I'm an adult, but apparently, that doesn't mean I'm above losing my shit in the middle of a mall, it just means that I get embarrassed by it.

Before I tell you what my meltdown was about, let me express my disgust at this.


Yes, these two toys are exactly the same, in different boxes with slightly different coloured fur. Take a guess at which one is aimed at boys and which is aimed at girls.

When I was growing up, my dad bought me trains and lego and frisbees. Sure, I also had dolls and Barbies, but not all of my toys were gender specific. The more I look at kids toys, the more I feel sad for kids these days. There are probably 10 year old boys out there now who have never played with dolls, and 10 year old girls who have never played with trains.

Can you tell which aisle is for girls and which is for boys?





Anyway, aside from that, it was the usual Christmas shopping; way way way too many people, everyone stopping in the middle of walkways, screaming children and no parks. Pretty much sounds like your ideal Sunday, right?

Anyway, on to my meltdown. So, my shoulder was sore and I was pissed off at everyone walking around like clowns and it was noisy and hot and horrible. Then I saw this.



Yes, that is what you think. BYS "Down the Rabbit Hole" from the Alice and Wonderland collection. And I HAD to have it. I didn't have an eftpos card with me, and no one else stepped forward to purchase it, so in came my tanty. I know, it's childish and pathetic. And embarrassing. But you can't argue with the result!

(Yes, the pictures are blurry, but that's just to show the holo goodness)





2 comments:

  1. So you stole the nail polish? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that probably wasn't particularly clear - my dad bought it!

    ReplyDelete