But today is a special day, it's a day where people all round the world, especially some of my friends in the US, are wearing red in support of sexual abuse victims.
Today, I'm wearing red nail polish. I had to buy 4 different reds to find one that suited me best, and, because the world is a little bit of a stroppy bitch, the first one I bought that cost $2 looks the best on me. It's a Miki Mini in red, a beautiful jelly/creme that would look fab on anyone else but me.

I don't know why this day resonates so strongly with me, usually days where you have to buy a ribbon or donate some coins to get a sticker don't really bother me. I guess sexual abuse is something that's pretty close to my heart (well, not literally, but there's not really a better way of putting that!), so it's something I'll get behind and support. I know that no amount of money or apologies will ever take back the horror that people who have been sexually abused have experienced, but maybe knowing that someone cares about what they've been through will give them a light at the end of the tunnel.
Just a side note though, why do we have to call people who have been sexually abused 'victims'? It's such a dirty word, and I don't think it accurately describes people who have been sexually abused. Not all of them, anyway. I also hate the word 'survivor'. Maybe I just hate all the labels. People who have been sexually abused are people before they are 'victims' or 'survivors' or whatever other box you want to put them in. I don't know what you should call them, but maybe just give people the dignity to not be stereotyped.
Extremely well said!
ReplyDelete(And red doesn't look good on me either - I prefer orange or bright blue, or yellow!)