Saturday, February 19, 2011

PDA is not okay

Okay, so the title to this is a bit misleading.  PDA is cool - totally fine - in some situations, and as long as it isn't a constant thing.  Getting a kiss in public, or seeing people hold hands, or even a quick ass pat or boob grope isn't a problem in the right situation. 

What's the right situation?  Well, I don't have a problem with children seeing two adults touching or kissing in public.  Course, there are limits to that - a full on blow job in public is never going to be okay around children, and blatant dry humping against a fence isn't okay either.  But I don't think it's bad for children to see a couple kissing or holding hands - kids should know that adults are people too, and it's great that they see good, quality relationships among real adults.   

Lots of people are totally against PDA.  Once I turned about 16, I started hating it too -  it seemed petty and gross to me, and I hated imagining what people were doing in private if they were doing that in public.  Maybe that's just me at 16, sex on the brain, but I think that's quite common among that age.  Don't get me wrong, I still did it, I just hated watching other people doing it.  As I've gotten older (and with my birthday coming up very soon - 4 sleeps! - I seriously feel ancient right now), I've sort of changed my mind about it.  There's something cute about seeing the little old lady and her husband of 40 years with hairy ears sitting on a park bench kissing, and seeing a couple pushing a pram together  holding hands almost makes me think that my life wouldn't be totally over if I were to procreate.

So what's my issue with PDA then if I actively engage in it and seeing other people do it makes me mooshy inside?  Well, some people just take it too far.  Take this couple, for example:



On first glance it's super cute.  Awww, look, the guy is totally into her, he's pulling her close and being all romantic and stuff.  Then we look a little bit closer.  Yes, that it a boob grab at the same time.  Well, that's cool.  Maybe they're in their own backyard, or somewhere private?  Nope, they're at Wellington Zoo, on a Saturday.  You know, with all the kids around.  

Okay, so that's not so bad.  Maybe no one's watching (except the super creepy photographer, of course) and maybe he just copped a quick feel.   Maybe it's their anniversary, or something.  Maybe.  Well, you know, it's not.  This is actually about hour number 3 at the zoo.  Hour number 3 of making everyone slightly uncomfortable with their gross touching and kissing and fondling (and I don't use that word lightly, believe me!).  Okay, maybe it wasn't quite as bad as you're imagining, but it was pretty terrible.  In her own words, girly in this picture actually said at some point during the day "I'm surprised we haven't been kicked out yet"*

So when is PDA okay?  When it's infrequent, used sparingly, and not disgustingly disturbuing for everyone within a 50m radius.  It's okay if you're doing it for you, and not for the purposes of making everyone uncomfortable (still not convinced they didn't do it just to make us all cringe, which was remarkably successful if that was the case).  The general rule of thumb is, if you saw your parents doing what you're doing in public, would it make you vom in your mouth?  If the answer is yes, for love of god (yes, with a baby g, because we know he's made up), STOP.

* It is possible she was talking about me at this point, but we'll pretend otherwise as there are no incrimiating photos of me on the internet right now!

5 comments:

  1. I believe I was talking about our group in general. With our dodgy antics and hippo riding.

    Also there are incriminating photos of you on the net. Take this one for example: http://twitpic.com/419p3y

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Lauren,

    I'm not totally happy with the tone of this article and how you're implying that we may have done things that didn't actually take place at the outing today.

    1. The picture you've posted was a deliberate wind up after you poked fun of us having a kiss in the background.

    2. At no stage were we groping each other in the background or anything.

    3. References to wondering why we hadn't been thrown out where in relation to the conversations being had by the whole group.


    Sure, PDA can be kinda annoying at times, I know that from being single for some amount of time myself.

    But I don't retain this high-school style approach or concept that "ewww they're holding hands, that's gross and wrong"

    I'm assuming that causing offense wasn't the intent of this article, but if you want to discuss people who go overboard with this sort of stuff, I would appreciate that you a) don't use photos of myself and b) report the facts of the event correctly rather than a scandalised version of them.

    -- Jethro (sexy photo guy)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was happy with their PDA only because it meant I got to douse Jethro in water =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry if you took that this entire blog was about you, it honestly wasn't. And I would have thought it was quite clearly a joke, but I understand that no everyone shares my sense of humour.

    The tone of the blog is 'know the time and place of your PDA, and know how far is too far'.

    I think PDA goes away with maturity (maturity of the relationship, not the individuals involved). In a new relationship it's new and exciting, you want your hands all over each other and it's easy to forget that you can be making others uncomfortable.

    And you know, it's not necessarily how explicit you're being (although that of course does impact on things a bit), it's also about how much time is spent JUST being involved with this other person and ignoring everyone else around - I get the feeling from Twitter kids that that's what people find the most offensive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bahahahahaha this is hilarious!

    PDA FTW.

    lol jokes.

    p.s Why am I amused by this? I don't know. I'm up before 7!

    ReplyDelete